Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Everything Makes Sense Now

German's certainly do like their breads, to the point where expats are most likely to complain about the lack of bread where they relocated than anything else. Which isn't surprising seeing as the German's actually have a veritable natural rainbow of bread colors ranging from the black (technically dark brown, but no one follows technicalities anymore) Schwarzbrot to the average white bread that we know and love here and every shade of brown and gray in between.

Let's take a moment to check in on Rye.

"Hello, Rye. Tell me, what's your story?"

"Well, funny story really, no body used to take me seriously because they said I tasted terrible and had to be mixed with other grains to make my existance as a food tolerable. Now I laugh because I'm one of the most popular grains in Northern and Eastern Europe because I'm damn good with the cold and snow doesn't kill me like the overrated wheat that's grown everywhere else. Also, I grow so fast that weeds can barely take root. I'm just that awesome I guess."

"How many different types of breads are you in?"

"Well, I'm commonly used in pumpernikel and crisp breads as well as Weizenmischbrot, Mehrkornbrot, Roggenbrot, Sonnenblumenkernbrot, Kürbiskernbrot,  and Zwiebelbrot. As you can tell, people actually love me."

"Well as a bread lover myself I can honestly say that I don't love you."

And that concludes our interview with Rye.
And this post.



http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rye
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_cuisine#Desserts

No comments:

Post a Comment